Adobo: The Philippines’ national dish
Chef Gene Gonzalez explains and shares in this Exclusive Bonus video his recipe of the national dish: Adobo!
1 ½ cups pork, cut into 1” cubes
1 ½ cups chicken cut in 3” pieces
½ cup chicken heart
½ cup beef liver, cut into ¼” cubes
½ cup pork kidney, cut into 1” cubes
½ cup chicken giblets, cleaned
¼ cup chicken blood, cut into 1” cubes
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tbsps. corn oil
½ tbsp. cracked pepper
2 tbsps. garlic
¾ tbsp. salt
6 tbsps. fish sauce
3 tbsps. pork lard
2 cups chicken stock
1. Sauté garlic in corn oil until slightly brown. Add pork cubes, chicken, chicken heart, beef liver, pork kidney, beef liver, pork kidney, chicken giblets and chicken blood.
2. Add Arengga vinegar, pepper then fish sauce.
3. Take-out chicken giblets and heart, beef liver and chicken blood. Continue braising.
4. Add all variety meats when chicken and pork are tender and sauce turns brown.
5. Simmer for 15 minutes then separate from meat. Set aside.
6. Fry meat in pork lard until brown and lightly crusty. Serve with sauce on the side.